Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Thursday, February 20, 2014

This is Bug, my goblin-cat skull.  He taught me lots of things not to do in Mudbox.




Monday, February 10, 2014

texture craziness

working on texture for demonic extrusion trees, a.k.a. 'architecture'

with UVs




sans UVs





playing around with the awesomeness of crazybump
  

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Saturday, February 1, 2014

uv mapping practice

Working through MilesTV's tuts (one two)

Source image (National Farmer's Bank of Owatonna by the King High Badass of Ornament, Louis Sullivan):

from:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mspdude/6440306445/

The Process

face isolated with stop sign, etc. removed


skewed


a few perspective things fixed


more perspective things fixed (still off, but good enough for practice)


final map in place (green stuff is just random for roof)


texture map with UVs overlapping in Maya


rendered








Thursday, January 16, 2014

Project 1: Reflective Essay

 I have a minor amount of experience modeling and lighting in 3d, and some familiarity with Maya from animation class, but my skills are not where I'd like them to be.  This project was a good start to becoming familiar with the concepts of modeling, and the reading helped to frame the exercise and get me thinking about composition and scale.

While it didn't necessarily inform this project, the concept of designing an item based on not only reference and context, but its own personal history, resonated with me.  Seeing Star Wars as a kid, I was drawn to the idea and the visuals of these futuristic weapons and vehicles being beat up and used like real world artifacts inevitably are.   As art director Joe Sanabria put it, "We base those off reference from that period to make sure it's accurate, then we think about its history, has it been locked up in a safe or did it get dropped down a cliff."

 My original plan was to follow the instructions to the letter and replicate three of the reference images.  After seeing some of the other students work on their Blockville projects, I decided to do the remaining shots based on my own.  I had started on a Blockville object earlier and abandoned it to work on the replicate scenes.  I wanted to play with the Soft Selection tool and see what I could do with it.  My best work has often come from following random tangents to my original idea.

As I worked on the scene, I started to get the sense that it was a collection of anomalous artifacts that needed a location.  I wanted to create a sense of discovery and curious exploration, as if the viewer had come across these objects in the middle of the ocean and decided to investigate.  I've no idea if that comes across or not, but that's what I was going for.

It was nice to re-familiarize myself with Maya's labyrinthine interface and to play in visual work again.  I'm looking forward to seeing what the other students create and hope my work will at least be of some interest to folks other than myself.